rashbre central: wombled without mudguards

Sunday 14 October 2012

wombled without mudguards

orange bike
I awoke today to what looked almost like frost on the grass. It was certainly a very dense dew. My original plan had been to join a cycling event but from quite early it started to unpick.

The phone rang and I received a plaintive request to make a special trip to Wimbledon to hand-deliver some forgotten tickets. It was one of those comedy sketch things where I drove to Wimbledon (as instructed), only to be told it was actually Wimbledon Common where I was expected.

They are only a mile or two apart, but it was enough in busy traffic to create a time penalty. And then more comedy as I tried to find the spot on the vast common without an address or road name or anything. Just a vague description that it's opposite 'the tent'.

Several phone calls later the tickets were delivered and I could head back for home through the now busy traffic of south-west London. Not a Womble in sight, although I have just heard that they may have been singing in the tent.

I think the round trip took the suspicious part of two hours scuppering my original plans.

Instead I took out the bike I'm preparing for winter use. All the main bits are working and I clocked around 20 miles. I think the orange colour will be suitably autumnal. A useful spin and it's helped me remember that I still need some mudguards. That'll be a small project during the week.

4 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

The Best Laid Plans.....LOL! Butr, you still got in your Biking...! Good For You! Twenty Miles? WOW!

Pat said...

'Started to unpick' I like that.
At least now one can understand what mudguards are for:)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Not that I've been out on it for ages, but I made sure I got a bike with mudguards... I still remember my teenage years and coming home with water & mud all up my back!

rashbre said...

Nikki-ann I'm familiar with that 'line'