rashbre central: waiting for the vampire bus?

Wednesday 31 October 2012

waiting for the vampire bus?

Pumpkins
Halloween is one of those occasions that seems to have grown in commercial status in England over the last few years.

It was always a distant second to the higher profile Guy Fawke's Night, where we take an effigy of the chap that tried to blow up Parliament and burn it on top of a big fire.

Perversely, I still think of Halloween as an American custom that has migrated based upon movies and sitcoms and has now entrenched itself in the supermarkets of the country.

Of course, there will be those that point out its ancient and somewhat pagan roots, and that it originally migrated to the U.S. from Europe.

I suppose the point is that the English didn't make so much of it because Bonfire Night gives a perfectly good adjacent excuse to set fire to things, make explosions and drink.

So this evening, I may be looking out for souls seeking revenge, but it will be at the cinema, watching James Bond.
waiting for the vampire bus

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Haklloween has been a very FUN Holiday here in the U.S. for as long as I can remember---ALL throughout my childhood and on and on...! Of course it is commercial---but, tell me what Holiday isn't? The point is, Is it fun? And I say, YES!!!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I hope you enjoy Skyfall... I'm hoping to see it soon.

I must prefer Guy Fawke's night... although not so keen on the loud bangs that make me jump! :D

rashbre said...

Naomi I can't say it was much of a childhood thing, probably because of the adjacent Guy Fawkes Night here in England.

I've been in the USA when its been Halloween and its been on a whole different scale.

Nikki-ann Yes I saw Skyfall a couple of days ago. The cinema was pretty packed so they must be doing something right!