rashbre central: vinyl

Saturday 18 August 2007

vinyl

IMG_0897
A background sub-project is taking some old vinyls and moving them across into digital. Purists may scorn this loss of the warmth of analogue recordings for the harshness of digital sound, but I'm rather more relaxed. With modern sound systems, adding back some dynamic range or squishing annoying clicks and suchlike is fairly easy.

I'm not going to be fanatical about converting everything, but there are some well played albums which are not even always available in digital. My dilemma is whether to record them 'as-is' (scratches, sometimes arcane equalization) or whether to clean them up in the process. I've decided to just use a basic recording program like GarageBand to transfer them because it will keep me focused on getting them converted rather than prettying up the sounds, and I may leave a few 'end of side clicks' as a concession to analogue.

No comments: