rashbre central: Needing a novel approach

Thursday 11 July 2024

Needing a novel approach


A couple of weeks ago I travelled via Waterloo to the South Bank for the sessions at SPS Live, which discusses writing, self-publishing and aspects of commerce. A longer train ride but so convenient for my  hotel close to the Queen Elizabeth Hall, where the sessions took place.

It's the third time I've visited and I always get new ideas and inspiration. 

The size of the sales by the various speakers seems to rise each time too. 

First time I was impressed by 800k sales, from single genre crime writing. 

Then the second time by over 2.8 million, from a couple of sisters who co-write The Zodiac Academy, originally from a shed at the bottom of the garden with sales via Tik-Tok. 

This time we had EL James and Lucy Score. 

EL James (Erika Mitchell) wrote that 50 Shades series and has sold 150 million copies worldwide. She jokes about having three houses. 

Lucy Score has sold many, but her Booktok chart is revelatory, having sold over 600k print copies.
I originally got into the whole writing thing via NaNoWriMo, but I guess it could be a useful side-line ('side hustle' to be down with the lingo nowadays) if I actually did some serious marketing. I've just about 15,000 books out there, but mainly e-books at the moment and my mailing list is about 3,000. 

Now I need to decide on ways I could raise interest and make it more obvious that some of my 35-ish books are in a sequence.

Watch this space as I take a spell away from the typewriter***

***I actually use a Mac Studio and MacBook Air to write.

No comments: