rashbre central: Flying Hero Sandwich

Monday 18 March 2024

Flying Hero Sandwich



 I once had many vinyl albums and singles. The debate about keeping them ran something like:

  • the cover art is better (maybe on a few)
  • they sound warmer than digital (not any more, with lossless I can hear the tape saturation)
  • the AAD conversions are not always good (I agree with this one)
  • they are something to look at whilst the record is playing (or maybe read about the band online?)
  • the artefacts provide a licence - proof of ownership (true, I guess)

Well, I let many albums go years ago, and I can't say I've missed them. I once stayed in a hotel in Hollywood and they provided 5 vinyl albums (well curated) and I think that was just as much fun. I reckon I need to budget say 30cm of shelf space for 'Sparks Joy' albums. 

The other day, based upon a conversation, I was trying to find a particular single. I couldn't and it consequently meant I accelerated my garage cleaning project. Many 45 rpm singles made it to the black bin bags, for subsequent disposal.

What I discovered was that like a primitive form of WhatsApp, many of the 45s had interesting sleeves, where they had been passed around and they were now covered in arty handwriting and typing from a bygone age. I think I'll (eventually) upload some of it to my flickr account.


No comments: