rashbre central: a constellation of quantum paradox

Wednesday 6 March 2024

a constellation of quantum paradox


 I might be in a minority, but I'm quite enjoying Constellation, a sci-fi psycho-drama box set. It's set in space and there is an opportunity for things to floatily slow down and then suddenly speed up. Like the way The Killing did at the end of its Episodes.

The main protagonist is Naomi Rapace, and we get some good Scandi Noir thrown into the mix. It is as if the writers tipped out their packet of parts to see which ones they could use.

I've noticed Kubrick and Silence of the Lambs moments as well as proper Scandi crashing through the softly falling now. I usually watch Alien in the dark, for maximum immersion and I found this one to be similarly so, to the extent that a couple of times I needlessly looked away whilst the tension was mounting.

In some ways I was doing a 'Copenhagen';  by not observing the states which became consequently  quantumly ambiguous. And I suppose the (later observed) dead cosmonaut could be a parallel for the a finally observed Schrödinger cat. 

In quantum physics there is a concept called entanglement. An entangled system is defined as an inseparable whole. In entanglement, one constituent cannot be fully described without considering the other(s). The superposition of states of local constituents is entangled if it cannot be written as a single product term.

I'm wondering how deftly the script for this can avoid entanglement as it waltzes through this science, with Breaking Bad's Mike Ehrmentraut (Jonathan Banks) playing the seasoned seventy year old astronaut 'Bud' who has been to the moon and knows about science things. For me, he doesn't quite pull it off and treats the 'canister thingy' as a McGuffin.  "But we must get it back".

Still, outside of these observations, I'm finding it better to watch than a few other things queued up on my various players.




 

No comments: