rashbre central: Blow Down - so much for the Northern Powerhouse

Thursday 16 February 2023

Blow Down - so much for the Northern Powerhouse

I usually stop around Ferrybridge if I'm heading north and the nearest services gave a view of the Ferrybridge power station. My picture above is from the services car park in 2016.  Idly chomping a Kit-Kat in the car park, I noticed some of the towers had been demolished and then the last time I drove straight past and don't think I could see them any more.  This used to be a proper milestone on trips to the North, as was even expressed during the performance.

I discovered they were demolished in March 2022 and Blow Down is a verbatim play about them but importantly about the surrounding community, written from interviews by Garry Lyons and directed by Tess Sneddon. 

Knottingley and Ferrybridge become a representation of the not-Northern Powerhouse. Instead of getting new facilities, like the politicians have said, we see them lose their sports centre, their library, their social clubs, their livelihoods. Everything is disappearing.
It's an interesting piece with a voice from (I'd say) the 1970s. There's less health and safety, perhaps more drinking at work and certainly a time of cameraderie of the family of workers. 

 I could see the storytelling unfold as the lively actors told their tales, although I felt sometimes that there was a discontinuity. A story of a bipolar drummer seemed grafted into the production and his blazing red drum solo seemed to detract from the main story diverting into something else entirely. I get it about mental health, but it didn't seem to need the signposting in this piece, which had more than enough to say about neglected workers, smashed communities and so on, without the drum breaks.

However, it is still a piece which resonates exposing a savage critique of the government's empty words about these places. 

 Northern Powerhouse.  Ignored.

No comments: