rashbre central: sign O' the times

Tuesday 17 March 2020

sign O' the times

Yesterday was a tricky day for me. I made the 378 mile drive from Newcastle in the North East to Exeter in the South West, planning to go to my German Stammtisch in the evening.

I was back in time to meet at the pub, but during the journey, the bluffer came onto the news and advised that we shouldn't go to the pub. It left me with something of a dilemma because I knew that several people would make the effort to attend, and so I decided to go, making it an exceptional visit ahead of the new lockdown.

By today we are operating in new times. Any sense of control from the government is illusory, with markets tanking, insufficient healthcare provisioning, and fibs from the people at the top about such things as liaison with supermarket chains.

We can recognise the moves too. It is covering up the unpreparedness for the emergency. The flip-flop of decisions and the background scrape of whiteboard markers dreaming up new charts to show how things are All Right Really. Our frontman claims that the UK is leading the world in handling the emergency. Bunkum. The UK is trying to catch up.

The picture shows 2020 gift suggestion of loo rolls, pasta and hand sanitiser

No comments: