rashbre central: Not right now

Thursday 16 January 2020

Not right now


I had to drop briefly into Windows today from my Mac. Its's a long story. I fired up Parallels and was greeted with the message to update to the latest version (15), which took all of 5 minutes. Then I could fire up a Parallels control panel and select my version of Windows. Windows 10, of course. And it started up, showing me the desktop before a Microsoft message appeared across the whole screen.

It told me my version of Windows 10 was superseded and I'd have to download an update. Just 6 Gigabytes. I clicked 'Download Updates' and the button didn't work. I tried I need Help. Didn't work either, so then I thought I'd try Not Right Now. It locks.

I've now got a punky blue screen across the whole Windows session, which probes tell me is using loads of CPU and network. There's no useful user feedback whatsoever.

I'm beginning to remember why I hit the big red button on Spindows.

Grrr.

2 comments:

Lois (three-legged-cat) said...

I've been wedded to Windows since MS Windows 3, but I've reached the end of my tether with Win 10. Avoided it for months because of privacy concerns. Once I switched, I found that almost every time it updates, something breaks. Annoying! Have switched my old laptop to Linux and am impressed. Mr TLC's laptop is next. I'd happily become an ex-Windows user but sadly the laptop I use for work has to stay on Windows because there's a Windows-only app I need for work.

rashbre said...

Yes, I still keep a Thinkpad for emergency use. MS Project / Dragon Dictate and similar.