rashbre central: the light burns on

Thursday 21 November 2019

the light burns on


A day in Bath, for some training. I spotted an exhibition whilst there, something to do during lunch. The first part was elaborate sculptures for sale. Oddities like a mirror made of teapots. Not my cup of tea, if you know what I mean.

Then I found myself on the top floor. Looking at a tiny picture of an angry shouting man. An artist, no doubt. But wait! It's only a young Rembrandt self-portrait.

I cranked the contrast up on this picture and made it internet friendly, but the darker, scratched original, with its glassy reflection, was a wonder to behold.

I'm amazed sometimes by the small size of some well-known artworks. This one is only 2 7/8 × 2 7/16 in or 7.3 × 6.2 cm. It's the same for many well-known photographs and one can almost sense it with the gallery displays being amped-up to show the artwork as large as possible.

I'm just sorry about the reflection from the glass caught in my iPhone picture. Then to another gallery, this time with Henri Matisse.

More sketches, The one I've chosen at the top of the post has the confidence of less than 60 pen strokes.

Well, I managed to get around the gallery during the lunch break, and my mind felt suitably expanded.

The light burns on : Clark-Hutchinson

No comments: