rashbre central: gated

Friday 6 September 2019

gated


Cycling today led me to this unexpected view. It was tagged on my map as a wood, but seems to be more of a building site. The barbed wire wrapped around the gates and the big padlocked chain seem to be a fairly strong hint to keep out.

I turned around and tried to find the 'welcome' sign to the area, but to no avail. It turned out I'd been a trifle speedy and had missed the preceding gate, which, tucked away on its left-hand side, incorporated the sign and a path.

The route back took me past the celebration orchard, with its varied collection of local apple trees. Star of Devon, Fair Maid of Devon, Killerton Sharp, Sweet Alford and the dry cider favourite Slack Ma Girdle.

Maybe a crisp apple tonight, with the dinner?

No comments: