rashbre central: back to gordita beach

Saturday 6 April 2019

back to gordita beach

I'm supposed to be reading a particular book ready for dystopian bookclub on Thursday. I'm about 35% through it on my kindle.

It's one that was made into a multi series Netflix show, Altered Carbon. The first few pages were great because it leapt straight into a crisp narrative, although I did wonder briefly about the first person voice it had chosen.

That's become more of a problem for me as I read further along. There's some first person squish that I just don't enjoy.

It was written in 2002, and creates a more-or-less instant otherworld, showing some decent inventiveness and consistency, with some similar themes to ones explored in recent Black Mirror episodes.

Good work for a first novel by author Richard Morgan.

And, despite the naming similarities, it took me a little while to realise that I'd seen part of the novel in that TV series.

I think I only watched about one-and-a-half episodes- which is maybe why I'd forgotten the name of the show - so I may need to go back and check it again.

It meant I got as far as what is the Hendrix Hotel in the novel, but it is shown as the Edgar Allen Poe hotel for the TV show. With hindsight, I'm guessing it was something to do with rights to use Jimi Hendrix? We'll draw a purple haze over that.

More later when I finish it and/or watch the tv show again.

I'm also reading a real hardback about the music industry, which, if I admit it, I'm slightly struggling to finish. Normally I'd enjoy it, but I'm finding it just a tad too predictable.

That's when Pynchon re-appeared on the scene. It's another one of my few remaining hardbacks and mysteriously appeared immediately underneath my current read in the (tidied away) stack.

I've maybe cheated with this one. I've read it before but it reminded me of the escapism of its own whacky movie.

Time for two and a half hours of (fictional) Gordita Beach 1970s noir. Narrated by the ex-girlfriend of the stoner detective, it's suitably bonkers and well worth a repeat viewing if you have that sort of humour.

No comments: