rashbre central: up and over the Thames

Thursday 31 January 2019

up and over the Thames


I've been sleeping in the docks for a couple of days with this view and decided it was a good opportunity to continue trialling my 'Use iPhone only' photography. This little sequence was taken as I crossed the Thames via the 'Airline'. For a while it was my short daily commute across the Thames by cablecar.

The system is slightly different now. It used to be a special punchable ticket valid for 10 journeys. Now the journeys can be loaded directly on to my Oyster card, which costs less than simply using the Oyster as a touch-in/touch-out.

It was as easy as ever to get a complete cablecar to myself, and the TV system in the car had a commentary about the views from the ride. As a Londoner, I knew most of it, but there were still some interesting sections, particularly when it involved direct commentary from Londoners, such as a tugboat captain or someone working in one of the revamped dock areas.

Here's a serviceable picture of Canary Wharf and of the Dome, although I had to use the zoom obliquely across the glass bubble of my cablecar to take this one, hence the strange reflections and interference.

Then a picture towards Greenwich Peninsular, which also illustrates the growth of buildings - including several new apartment blocks with what will be a very quick commute into the centre.

Then there's the Thames Clipper dock, accompanied by Anthony Gormley's Quantum Cloud sculpture. It is reputedly taller than the Angel of the North in Gateshead, although doesn't somehow look it, maybe because of its foreshortened outline nature. Look at it from the right angle and there's still a residual figure inside it, based upon Anthony Gormley's body, which is something of his signature approach to public sculptures.

Then, above, my final snap from this leg of the journey. I should have taken a couple of steps further back to get the whole building in, although there was also some tricky road signage, which made it difficult to cover the building, cable cars and first mast all at once.

No comments: