rashbre central: Topsham wanderings testing iPhone snapshots

Thursday 24 January 2019

Topsham wanderings testing iPhone snapshots

IMG_0002.jpg
Today's post is a result of a quick walk around the neighbourhood, trying out a few pictures from the iPhone. It is part of my test of an iPhone as a travel camera. The first picture above is SOOC (Straight out of iPhone camera) and the only tweak was that I focused it on the wall and knocked the exposure down when I took it.

Then the short walk to the waterfront. It was damp, late afternoon and the tide was out.

The resultant pictures load automatically into Apple's Photo application, but don't get recognised by Adobe Lightroom, even if I plug the iPhone into the Mac.

That's not a problem normally, when I only want to drag and drop a few pictures from Mac's Photos into Lightroom, but would be more irritating if I always had to do an extra manual copy as part of a Lightroom workflow.

I think there's a way around it with Lightroom CC on the iPhone, but I haven't tried it yet.
IMG_0009.jpg
The second lens corrected picture shows that we're an hour after low tide, and the high tide mark can be clearly seen around the walls.

My issue was that the iPhone lens splayed the walls of the building outward in a wide angle effect. I think it detracts from the original picture, shown below.

For casual snapshots this isn't really a problem, but I suppose I'm just a tad picky on this kind of thing and it would take quite some time to go through to 'correct verticals' and so on.
IMG_0010.jpg
Here's another 'tide out' picture, this time by the boatyard.

The format of the picture in the iPhone is something like 5x4 default and so this type of picture would have quite a lot of foreground unless I zoomed in. The iPhone digital zoom uses less of the sensor and so the end result would be somewhat jagged.

Instead I've cropped the picture to a more blog friendly aspect ratio. I'd probably prefer to have more control over the highlights too, and may need to set a slightly lower exposure, which ideally would be -2 or -3 for all pictures. I've also got some of that burned edge effect on the horizon, which seems to be more pronounced with jpeg than when processing raw.
IMG_0012.jpg
This one of the Boathouse looks pretty good, and the menu is readable, including the take-away offers.

Direct from the iPhone it also suffered from the slanted edges, and required some 'guide drawing' to get it to look straight. I'm guessing that the iPhone is quite sensitive to being 'off plane' when facing towards a scene. I'll set the guide lines to be on for the next tests.

I know these quick tests are different from the lifestyle and selfie tests that get reviewed in the interweb, but I suppose I'm trying to see how to use the iPhone as a travel camera, knowing the limits (iPhone and me!) and adjusting accordingly.

To be continued, as they say.

No comments: