rashbre central: red and icy but no wolves

Monday 21 January 2019

red and icy but no wolves


The instantly knowledgeable ones were talking about blood wolf super moons on the radio, so I decided to have a quick look.

A slight problem was the cloud, then the mist, oh, and the cold. I'll continue to think of the first moon after Yule as the Ice Moon, in the month with two faces. January. Janus and all that.

I pointed my camera skywards, although I was indoors through double glazing, so I've extra reflections and wobble. I think the first picture also has some rotation, although it's hard to tell now.

The main thing is that the moon looks a bit more spherical when photographed against a shadowy earth. Someone told me that 04:40 was the right time. My pictures are a little later, at sometime after 05:15 in the morning. There's the merest hint of sunrise at the top of the moon.

I tried first with a 300mm Nikon lens attached to an Olympus camera. That's like a 600mm. Then a shorter Olympus lens which was made for the camera and seemed to yield better results. The end results are all over-magnified and treated for noise, but I suppose that is part of the fun.

Here's Fireball XL5, including the epic tune "I wish I was a spaceman."

2 comments:

CountryDew said...

These are great shots. Much better than mine.

rashbre said...

Hi CountryDew. Actually I really like your pictures!