rashbre central: syria

Saturday 10 February 2007

syria

Embassy Protest
Walking through a shortcut via Belgrave Square today, I chanced upon a small demonstration. There are a lot of embassies in that part of London, so I didn't really know who they were pointing towards. I also noted there were quite a few police on hand and another police van was discreetly parked around the next side of the large square.

I didn't recognise the flag immediately, it has the typical Arab colours of black, white and red stripes with green stars, and as there were two stars I think that means Syria. Three means Iraq, of course.

It appeared to be a civil rights protest linked with the 25th anniversary of the ruthless destruction, by the Syrian army, of the city of Hamat claiming it harboured opponents of the Syrian regime.

I can't find any reference on the main news feeds to today's demonstration. But it brings home another example of the ongoing complexities and ambiguities of the Middle East region, this time with the country that borders Israel, Lebanon, Iraq, Turkey and Jordan.

No comments: