rashbre central: broken glass

Thursday 1 February 2007

broken glass

Vista on OS/X
I'd been using Microsoft Vista Beta with Parallels on an intel Mac for several months. Now I see the new Vista Home Premium which I bought today actually forbids this.

Microsoft has reworded its End User License Agreement to say: “USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.”

So unless I want to turn my Mac over to Boot Camp dual boot, I can no longer use the product inside the terms of the agreement unless I dig deep for Vista Ultimate edition. The whole point of something like parallels is to be able to run Windows in a pane on the Mac. Microsoft say that "Home users have rarely requested virtualization and so it will not be supported in Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium.”

As a side note, one of the fun things about Vista under OS/X is the way it can be dynamically resized on the screen like a browser pane. Click my screen shot above to see a big picture of Windows in a small pane on OS/X. Or watch this three year old Apple trailer about iLife back in the olden days.

No comments: