rashbre central: star struck

Saturday 17 February 2007

star struck

will young
I was told to make this picture large
The visit to see the Vortex was a great idea of Julie, who is quite a Will Young fan. We enjoyed the show and afterwards stayed in the very agreeable Royal Exchange bar having a few drinks. We even sawthe actress Diana Hardcastle who played Florence rushing out from somewhere back stage to buy a drink before the bar closed at around eleven o'clock.

We finished our drinks and decided we would get ready to move on to another venue like the Printworks or Matt and Phred's. Julie headed for the rest-rooms before we departed and we moved to the other end of the bar to where the coats were kept in a cloak room. Actually the cloakroom was locked and we had to find someone to get the door opened.

As I swung around I noticed three people sitting talking at the table at this end of the bar. One was wearing a rather fashionable hat. Yes, you've guessed. It was Will Young. That's the same Will Young that can usually be seen on stages and in arenas and other large venues. Now John was carrying the programme from the production and after a short consultation between us, I decided to ask Will Young if he would mind signing the programme for Julie.

I walked the few steps to where the three people were seated, very conscious that they may well have wanted to relax without being pestered. So I summoned the few words to ask Will if he minded me interrupting and would he mind signing the programme (luckily I had a pen!)

I explained it would make someone's year! He chuckled at this and said, 'what and its still only February!' and very graciously signed his picture on the programe 'to Julie, love Will x' I thanked him and commented also how much I'd enjoyed the play. He smiled before returning to his conversation with his two friends.

Throughout this, behind me had stood John and Melanie, miming approving gestures towards Will and his ensemble. We moved away, delighted that Will had been prepared to do this and feeling slightly sheepish that we had all been somewhat star-struck. I was not expecting the kind of buzz that this brief encounter created and don't think I've ever asked anyone for an autograph. I suppose Will Young is probably quite used to this, but I was very conscious of not wanting to intrude into his 'down-time'. I'm pleased that he signed the programme for Julie and I'd add that even in the few moments of contact, he came across as a charming and gracious individual.

Thank you, Will.

tags technorati :

No comments: