rashbre central: Asteroid City

Tuesday 20 June 2023

Asteroid City

While staying in a hotel on the South Bank, I noticed they had a preview of Asteroid City, the Wes Anderson sci-fi movie. I know I should like Wes Anderson, but I do find movies like Grand Budapest Hotel and The French Dispatch covering style and maybe less substance. 

He's considered a fine movie maker, with symmetry, colour palettes and soundscapes that are exceptional. I find some 'the business' in his movies to be frantic for no obvious reason although it is probably why people like his style of movie-making.

Asteroid City is a play set inside a documentary. The documentary is 4:3 Academy Format monochrome and the 'play' is set in 16:9 widescreen adaptive colour. Fortunately, I was in a Curzon and in the front row, which was entirely suitable for this movie. 

It riffed along with many stars and cameos, including Brian Cranston as the monochrome show presenter and then Margot Robbie as a ghost and Tilda Swinton as a bright scientist. Then add in  Jason Schwartzman, Tom Hanks, Jeffrey Wright, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Liev Schreiber, Hope Davis, Steve Park, Rupert Friend, Maya Hawke, Steve Carell, Matt Dillon, Hong Chau, Willem Dafoe, Margot Robbie, Tony Revolori, Jake Ryan, and Jeff Goldblum. Anderson has the best address book and following.

You can tell that with such a cast list, there's a customary frantic activity and there are frequent hat tips to other movies. I won't spoil this one by saying too much about the plot, which is fundamentally pretty simple in any case.

I did enjoy it. It was a couple of hours which I'd found myself free to do as I pleased and this movie seemed like a good way to spend the time. Seeing it at the Curzon helped, and being in the front row of a tiny cinema seemed very appropriate. Considering it was on pre-release when I saw it, I was surprised that there were only two seats left when I got my ticket. Here's Tom Hanks as the Grandpa, in the trailer.

No comments: