rashbre central: cross town - so hard to get through to you

Thursday 21 February 2019

cross town - so hard to get through to you

We've been using an OnStar satellite navigation system for part of the time.

It doesn't seem to like a British accent.

As an example, I was asking it to go to one of the four or five biggest locations around here and it offered me a selection which didn't include the place at all, but did mention a yoghurt shop about 300 miles away.

It's hilarious if it gets behind the conversation too and will just keep saying the same thing over and over again.

The system doesn't actually provide any maps, just the turn instructions. I suppose it could be so that I'd opt to get the expensive additional satnav option added to the car rental. It would be less expensive to pop into Walmart or somewhere similar to just buy one.

I'd be furious if I'd bought a car with one of these things expecting hot to work.

In another example, the same voice satnav took me around three sides of a lengthy square to reach a destination.

I can't help wondering how the system's finance works. Did the yoghurt shop pay to get mentioned? Is google or someone paying g to get the tracking information?

I've mainly switched it off now, although the 7 inch screen in the middle of the dashboard looks somewhat untidy with a scrappy partial menu related to radio stations on it.

There's no overt design aesthetic. Someone should be ashamed.

I'm instead using my own knowledge and navigation, which seems dramatically better than this particular high-tech voice operated system. I'll get the blame if we get lost, so it might as well really be my fault rather than a piece of not so well-designed technology.

No comments: