rashbre central: curing TV jitters created by LED light strips

Wednesday 21 November 2018

curing TV jitters created by LED light strips


In our last kitchen, we had a set of LED spotlights which interfered with DAB radio signals. Annoying but then we moved house before I could get around to fixing it.

No such problems here, at least not until I installed some smart LEDs into a cupboard by the television. We started to get an almost imperceptible glitch on some channels. The tuner is cable TV through a Virgin box and the minor interference only happened when the Wifi and Zigbee operated LEDs for the cupboard were switched on.

Using radio knowledge I worked out it was probably the neatly tied cables that I'd created when I wired up the cupboard. I'd accidentally made a mini transmitter. Instead of a Philips Hue for this cupboard I'd used an INNR controller, because it was (a) compatible and (b)properly modular (c) inexpensive for the 4 metre length of LED I required. The modularity meant I could get away with a very small concealed drill hole into the cabinet.

The clue to the problem is in my reconstruction of the setup above. That connector wire and the switched 24v DC into the unit were both tidily coiled instead of cut to length. I reckon they must generate a tiny amount of interference.

Time for a shield. I considered using those clip on ballast things, but couldn't find any.

Instead, Bacofoil.

Placed around the coiled wires like a Mexican food wrap, making a sort of faraday cage to keep the waves inside.

Works a treat. No more glitches and a brightly lit cupboard.

No comments: