Friday, 8 February 2013
building the orange guitar (part 7)
Everything is starting to look orange now.
Although out of the haze, a guitar shaped artifact is beginning to take form.
As I suspected, the bodywork is proving the most difficult. Some of it has been a question of learning as I go along. I've now reached the stage where some of the metal parts are coming together, although there's still a fair amount of wiring to complete inside the body. I've realised that guitar maker Fender put their controls onto little plates for a reason.
By comparison, my design means threading wires all through the body and I'm starting to wonder if that switch in the 'Les Paul' position was such a good idea.
It creates a diagonal channel right through the middle of the guitar, from the plug socket which is bottom left to the switch which is top right.
I've also had a few dramas with the clear coat lacquer, which does all kinds of interesting things after it's been sprayed. I gather I should wait about a week and then to sand it to get it very shiny, using 2000 grit.
I'm agonising over what to do about the fretboard now. I've got a nice rosewood finger board with some cream coloured inserts, but I don't know whether to paint the exposed wood areas. I'm thinking to leave it 'natural' as a tell tale-sign of the 'Made in England' nature of this guitar.
I'm hoping to fire up the circuits this weekend, to check for hum. There's another 20 or so connections to solder first.