rashbre central: cookies and chips

Saturday 23 February 2013

cookies and chips

Emergency cookies
There was a small ping as the stone hit the front windscreen.

I've been travelling on quite a few motorways recently and loose stuff on the road surface can be troublesome.

"Look," I said, "it's made a dink."

It was quite a small star shaped mark on the front screen, about the size of a twenty pence piece. I remembered that Autoglass will fix small marks in windscreens rather than having to replace the whole piece, so decided to call them from home - but forgot that evening.

Next morning I was running an errand to the train station.

"Look," I said, "It's got bigger."

Autoglass wouldn't be able to fix it with their heat treatment now. It had morphed from 10mm to about 15cm. Overnight.

That's partly how I came to be making cookies. I'd just returned from a 25 mile bike ride, put everything away and showered. I remembered I'd intended to get some shopping on the way back. Now I just didn't feel like going out again, especially in the cracked car.

The forgotten entertainment cookies would need to be improvised from the rashbre kitchen.

Five minutes with eggs, breadmaking flour (only kind available), milk, butter, brown sugar, cocoa, broken chocolate squares, currants, cinnamon, brandy. Make around a litre of gloop. Test taste the flavour. Pour onto metal foil. Chuck in 200C oven.

Wait.

Peel the foil and make into squares.

Serve with a story.

4 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

A few years back, I had a chipping hit the top middle of the windscreen causing a small crack (and me to curse slightly). Stopped off at the supermarket, only to come back to the car to find the crack had spread somewhat (I suspect it spread when the car door was shut). It was the Saturday of a bank holiday weekend, so they wouldn't come out and replace the windscreen until the Tuesday. That was a boring bank holiday weekend!

rashbre said...

Nikki-ann It sounds pretty much like my story this time. I've got to wait until Tuesday evening to get it fixed.

I think it's the third car in a row that I've had where this has happened.

Pat said...

They look delish! Is there no end to your talents?

Ellie said...

Improv!