rashbre central: red

Sunday 4 June 2006

red

red phone boxes.JPG
I'm back from my enjoyable wandering around Scotland during the last few days, away from broadband and even cellphone connectivity. I'll drop in a couple of back posts when I get a few minutes.

On the way North East, I stopped off in Durham, a pretty city with a very famous thousand year old cathedral. I was watching people snapping photos of a statue when I noticed these six red phone boxes and an adjacent tavern. Something we Brits take for granted, but the red phone box is becoming rather a rarity nowadays, so six together in a cluster is a noteworthy occurence. The photo took longer to take than you might think, because there were so many people wandering around and I wanted a people-free picture.

There are some other signs of the march of progress in the picture; the burglar alarm wiring for the pub, the external ashtray for the non smoking environment in the boozer (not yet law in England, but already the case in Scotland and the Republic of Ireland) and the broadband connection to the old looking office building next door to the pub (the pub already has wi-fi). I've posted the picture at full seven Megapixel resolution if anyone wants a peep in the phone boxes!

Tag: , ,

No comments: