rashbre central: Potentate?

Thursday 4 May 2023

Potentate?

I'm not so sure about what is happening with this Monarchy thing. I was happy enough about Charles when he married Diana, but then I didn't know about his side-bet on Camilla. 

I remember being in a busy London the day before the wedding, with people already getting in position and the cranes displaying messages like 'Good Luck Chaz and Di'. Just simple philandering as Andrew would probably phrase it. 

 I also find it strange that the Duke of Edinburgh could be married to Queen Elizabeth with never a hint of 'King' and yet Charles's moll gets made straight up to Queen status. 

But she knows how to consort in more ways than one. I remember their appearance at the Ritz when it all first came out- she wearing her Glady and Fred jewellery. I was driving by and witnessed it first hand, the fifty or so photographers there, outside the side door to the Ritz.
Stage managed, or what? Then there's the cost of it all. I'm sure the Coronation of Elizabeth was a great morale booster after WW II, but I'm not so sure that two golden carriages with air conditioning are needed for the to and fro walking distance for the installation of the new guy. 

Especially in these times of economic hardship, although maybe Shell will sponsor the Coronation? They can hand the money to Charles in unmarked notes in a few carrier bags. 


I guess I'm conflicted by this whole thing.

No comments: