rashbre central: Wot? No Passport

Wednesday 17 August 2022

Wot? No Passport

One of my recent routes is not accurately portrayed on the map in one of my prior posts. I had to make the trip from Exeter to Peterborough and back in one extended journey. I realised we were going abroad, and was just checking my passport. It expired on 22 September, so I would not have the requisite 3-6 months grace at the end of the trip. 

Panic Stations. 

I used to always keep two passports running for work, but didn't bother to renew them both the last time. I even had the passport office call me to check. Then, since we were in Iceland, I havn't been anywhere over the last couple of buggy years. I can vaguely recollect that my passport expired in 2022, but that seemed ages away. 

Except now it isn't.

I had to enter the competition on gov.uk to get a Fast Track Passport. It used to be possible to get one from a Post Office in a week, but now they were quoting 10 weeks for the fast track. Instead I tried the Fast Track bidding process.

From Exeter, the nearest place was initially Belfast. Then London, but they all went in seconds. Then a lone early appointment appeared in Peterborough. I clicked it and plunked down my £large_sum to get a interview at the Peterborough office. Only 250 miles each way. I could do the whole journey with only one recharge of electricity.

Still, it would give me a chance to try out the new car.


No comments: