rashbre central: My latest Experiment: Writing It - A podcast by Ed Adams

Wednesday 21 October 2020

My latest Experiment: Writing It - A podcast by Ed Adams

Well, I've been tinkering with the marketing for the various Ed Adams novels, and now I thought it was about time to dip a toe into the podcasting waters.

I decided to use The Triangle as a test, it being one of the thinner novels. Remarkably, I've managed to get all of it uploaded into Apple Podcasts, Amazon Podcasts, Tune-in and Spotify. -Its Free, of course. It is even possible to ask Alexa to start the podcast, although the section will be somewhat random.

Alongside the novel, I've made (so far) three short podcasts with a few observations about the process. Series 1 Episode 1 was also used to register the title and so on into the podcastiverse.

That's the edition that I recorded the voice on the left-hand channel of the podcast because I messed up.

We live and learn, which was pretty much my attitude to the process of getting the novel recorded. Now I've done a whole unedited book, I can take stock and review my own processes. 

For those interested in statistics, there's around 238 pages in the book, which I recorded as 20 episodes. The Episodes vary from 11 minutes to around 30 minutes. It's about four and a half hours of playback and I would estimate each episode took about twice as long to record as the length of playback. That includes adding music, adjusting levels, a few splices of words and uploading it to the internet.

For whatever I choose to do next, I'll think a little more about 'performance qualities', but at this stage I was mainly interested in the mechanics of producing and distributing the podcasts.

I also want to thank Elizabeth James for putting me up to the idea of creating a podcast-based audiobook, which is also helpful towards partially-sighted folk.

No comments: