rashbre central: time sink

Friday 26 January 2018

time sink


I still can't believe how rude and inconsiderate the recent Windows operating system can be. This version of Windows 10 is running on the 'garage' PC which is mainly used for things related to bicycles (don't ask).

A few days ago it said it needed to perform an update. Did I want to do it now or overnight? Overnight, obviously. That way it'd be ready the next time I needed to use it.

Or so one might think. Next time I attempt to use it, it starts by telling me it still needs to 'complete' the update. This may take several more minutes. #herewegoagain

I let it run, including that 90% complete section that lasts way too long. Then, hooray, it worked again although refused to recognise my ANT+ components until I rebooted it just one more time.

Next day, I used it for about 10 minutes and then it froze with a sort of repeating buzzing sound. It was a software error. Reboot and guess what? Another (this time unsolicited) update.

No comments: