rashbre central: deller and shrigley

Sunday 1 April 2012

deller and shrigley

"Bath" - an installation piece

I somehow managed to catch up with my cycling on Saturday, clocking an extra 51 miles, which safely put me over the 40 miles a week I'm aiming for.

It would have been pleasant to soak in the bathtub after this, but at the moment it's not to be, until a few more finishing touches get applied, not least of which is that the control unit requires a new cartridge because the one installed has a slight leak.

So above there's a copy of my latest intense art installation, which I'll call 'bath - unfinished' featuring a grout spattered bath awaiting completion.

It somehow reminds me of the entrance to the Jeremy Deller exhibition I visited a few days ago.

Deller's art is quite expansive and themed, with large conceptual arcs to bring to all together. In the current show, you walk into his bedroom, and can riffle through artefacts stored in cupboards along the sides. Deller's room
In the next room, there's a section devoted to the melancholy and agit-messaging of the Manic Street Preachers, complete with pictures and a scrap-book diary.

In another area there is large scale work from the protests related to the pit closures from the Thatcher era, with the reconstruction of the battle of Orgreve Colliery also depicted.

There's a section devoted to failures too - a new tube map to complement Oyster cards subversively drawn like a bicycle and a series of entrances to the Olympic site which includes a look of druidic Stonehenge.

Yet another room relates to Iraq, and features a rusting car bomb and a juxtaposition of Britain and Iraq with place names swapped. There's a place to sit under flags and hold debate about the politics of the region too.

I also viewed David Shrigley's exhibition, which has plenty more 'single slide' humour along the lines of a bad picture with a caption saying 'this isn't very good' (I made that one up, but it's a reasonable facsimile of those displayed)

It's quite magazine friendly and probably gets more coverage because of this, although I found it altogether more transient.
Shrigley
It was when I got to the inevitable 'shop at the end of the show' that I could see the difference in appeal between the two. I felt that Deller's work was more thought provoking but would be difficult to pick up and carry around. Shrigley's was more of a postcard giggle or a short stab at a single social norm.

Maybe a long soak versus a quick splash?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do love the little touches in that first exhibit- the spirit level hinting at a professional job, the instructions pinned to the wall echoing some uncertainty. The whole piece is crowned with the wrapping around the bath that speaks of a work in progress.

And I find myself hoping that the work will be finished soon, so that the artist may enjoy a well-deserved soak. Is that how it's supposed to make me feel, I wonder ;-)

Debra

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Your Artistic "TUB" Installation is a lot more interesting to me than those of the two artists(?) mentioned....! It is all in the eye of the beholder, I know...well, I'll take your Tub! LOL!

Imaginography said...

Eat your heart out Tracey Emin: 'Unfinished Bath' trumps 'Unmade Bed' :)

rashbre said...

Vladography You are spot on with your analysis. The only addition I'd make is some hint at a possible comedy moment involving unexpected high pressure water spurts.

rashbre said...

Naomi I with I'd thought to call it 'Tub' instead of 'Bath' although I guess I think of a tub as rounder rather than angular?

rashbre said...

Imaginography I did think briefly of Tracey Emin's work after I'd posted this, and I guess I do get extra points for the 2 bar pressure pump. It even beats Hirst's hairdryer and ping-pong ball.