rashbre central: One Day Loverdose

Sunday 28 August 2011

One Day Loverdose

Loverdose Beyond the back to School/College advertising, there's two adverts splattered pervasively around London at the moment both with a love story type of theme. One is for a perfume called Loverdose, which I have been trying to work out how to pronounce. The other comprises Polaroid pictures all over buses and is for a film called 'One Day'.

Well. It's Bank Holiday weekend, so there's been plenty of rain on Sunday, causing us to decide to hit the cinema. The pronunciation of Loverdose is indeed, Loverdose, not l'overdose or Lover Dose any other derivation. I know this from the cinema advert. Yes it's Loverdose Diesel Perfume. Arom d' forecourt.

Then to One Day. The premise is an annual St Swithen's Day view of two people and what happens to their intertwined lives. I won't give away plot points although many have read the book and will have a fair inkling.

I actually found the movie quite entertaining. It had a good pace with a simplified story of the two people played by Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. There have been various criticisms of Anne's accents in this film, as an American playing a Yorkshire lass. In truth the accent was all over the place - but not so different from some Americans one meets living in London or elsewhere. It's the same for we Brits when we spend time on the other side of the pond.

Beyond the accents, the movie tells a story of what happens, year by year, from circa 1980-something to the present day. I think the little band of us viewing all found it entertaining enough and were happy to chat about it over a glass of wine and some lovely food at Côte afterwards.

4 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I haven't read the book, but might check out the film sometime.

Pat said...

I'm halfway through the book and enjoying it. My theory is that the nearer you are to having graduated in the eighties the more it will resonate with you.
And I think in real life Emma's accent would have varied over the years. If I get angry broad Lancashire emerges - other wise a bit like Her Maj:)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I saw some reviews of "ONE DAY" here....And it seems to me, films like this are given such a hard time in our press. I feel as if they don't have a chance of succeeding unless it is a HUGE Blockbuster Action-Packed Violent Epic....! Personally, I much rather see "ONE DAY", any day....! I will have to wait for the DVD and maybe by that time I can just enjoy the film without hearing the negative reviews resonating in my head!! Thanks for this review, my dear---It is GOOD to read that you all enjoyed it...!

I wonder sometimes about the great Classic Romantic-Comedy's of the 30's and 40's...IF they would succeed today....I would hope that they would, but it is such a different time in the Making and Selling of films---Who knows?

rashbre said...

Nikki-ann & Pat - I have not read the book but I gather that some people who read it don't like the film as much.

OldOldLady of the Hills - I completely agree that sometimes films get a tougher time than they deserve. I'm not sure if someone sets the reviewers' agenda? At least one review of this film had clearly not watched it all the way through (unless the American version has a different ending or something?)