rashbre central: tera bite

Monday 31 March 2008

tera bite

shakespeare8.gif
If I chance to talk a little wild, forgive me. I was running a full backup of a computer today, bizarrely because the backup disk itself had decided to start making a clonking sound. Better three hours too soon than a minute too late.

The fresh backup says it needs to backup 1,518,289 things.

Forsooth, how careless we become with filing when it's all digital. Perhaps the overflow of good somehow converts to bad.

I suppose, like most of us, I just leave everything until full and then add more storage. So out of the nettle of danger, we pluck this flower, safety, to keep our systems secure.

Noting this doesn't include video folders (but does include iTunes and pictures), I wonder how the likes of writers in the past managed with simple paper and ink?

I just checked Shakespeare who penned a grand total of 884,647 words (thats words not items) to write his works, with (methinks) 31,534 different ones included. Not that I'm comparing quality (!) simply that creative life was simpler then with just ink and inspiration. Sometimes, we know what we are, but know not what we may be.

No comments: