rashbre central: sofa and yet sofar

Sunday 29 April 2007

sofa and yet sofar

My new sofa arrived!

I had ordered it quite a few weeks ago and the order had buzzed its way to the Italy, where craftsmen would toil long hours to hand construct this seat of wonder. Then, further communications before it would be gently placed into the back of a large container and driven, by road, all the way from Italy, across mainland Europe, to one of the ferries from whence it could make the last part of its journey to the United Kingdom.

It would go to a depot first, where it would wait until the friendly showroom person could call me to let me know it was ready, and to arrange a delivery, thoughtfully, on a Saturday. And not only that, it had arrived at least two weeks quicker than expected.

So Saturday, the delivery truck arrived, and two uniformed delivery people brought the packaged item to the room, still swathed in cardboard, bubble pack and lots of plastic wrappering. They slit carefully through the packaging..."I hope the testo di moro brown looks as good here as it did in the showroom", I was thinking.

DSC_1258It was yellow! Bright yellow!

There had been a big mistake. The professional delivery folk looked on the outside of the wrapper. Was it the right name? Was it the right order? Yes it was! I had been sent a yellow sofa instead of a brown one. Hand built. To order. From Italy. Taking twelve, no, ten weeks!

My other sofa was already outside of the house. Time for the telephone and a long expanation to the store.

This morning, I'm sitting on the temporary bright yellow sofa, whilst redesigning the room and waiting for another hand built sofa to start the order process in Italy.

Yup, you guessed it...

No comments: