rashbre central: I heard you scream from the other side of the mountain

Tuesday 13 September 2005

I heard you scream from the other side of the mountain

toriface
There is so much written about Tori Amos. Flashing between 2005's The Beekeeper and the January 1992 Little Earthquakes shows Tori Amos to have excellent and durable singer/songwriter qualities with emotive, raw and poignant songs spanning the entire period.

amostori-little

Years go by will I still be waiting
For somebody else to understand
Years go by if I'm stripped of my beauty
And the orange clouds raining in my head


Sometimes playing just piano, other times using dance track style drum and bass accompaniment, Tori creates a web to enthrall. In Scarlett's Walk, which toured post September 11 in the USA, as well as visiting us here in Europe, she is able to demonstrate the performance quality of her work

Years go by will I choke on my tears
Till finally there is nothing left
One more casualty
You know we're too
easy
easy
easy


silent all these years

If you have not checked Tori's work, click one of the
references in this entry
.

To give another perspective, Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls describes a 2005 Tori concert. Amanda appears a sceptic, but has really already been quite influenced over a long period with views about Tori and her writing.

She writes, "So we went to see her here in Boston the night before last, my band and I, and there I sat. And as I watched her I thought: This performer does not need to care about whether I like her music or not. She has a huge following, people who love her music and stick with her, she's forty, a mother and she's touring."

"Terrible album or not, Amanda, you've got to respect this woman. Coming home, I finished the last few pages of her book and thought about what had struck me, stuck with me. One thing that she expressly said a few times was how sad she thought it was that female musicians and singers felt the need to compete so fiercely with each other, as if there were only room for so many - and it was kill or be killed."

No comments: