rashbre central: Artificial Opening Scene (c1 - coincidences))

Saturday 18 March 2023

Artificial Opening Scene (c1 - coincidences))

 

I am sitting in Le Club chatting with Bérénice Charbonnier. Her gentle aroma of Chanel is just about legal.

 

"So, Oliver Wells, how did you come to be out here, working for Brant? Are you another one of the brainy scientists, or maybe you have some other skill?"

 

Bérénice lives next door in my apartment block and seemed to know everyone. She was some kind of news reporter. She suggested that we go to this disturbingly American-style sports bar in the heart of Geneva, although, I suppose it was only a ten-minute slow walk from my new home. Everyone around us was speaking shades of English.

 

I answer, "I think I was an afterthought, actually. One of Brant's head honchos - Bob Ranzino - came to Cork,  Ireland, where I lived, and he was busily recruiting a friend of a friend, Matt Nicholson. Matt must've told them about me and the next thing I know I'm being given a drive-by recruitment handshake for Brant."

 

Bérénice smiles, "No, it can't have been that simple. I know Brant and even Bob Ranzino and Jasmine Summers, his close associate. We've interviewed them a few times about new developments in and around Geneva. Brant is a big player in this city."

 

"Well, the friend-of-a-friend link was because Heather, Matt's ex at the time was also friends with my buddy Michael. Cork is a small place and word gets around. I guess Ranzino must have thought he could make more of the opportunity and hire both of us. I think he even took us to the same restaurant both nights!"

 

"That sounds like a Jasmine move. Find the most expensive place in town and make it the office. I expect it had to be a steak or seafood place as well."

 

"You hit the nail. We went to Quinlans and I had lobster. Good recruitment food."

 

"So do you know many people yet? There are several Brant employees who live in our apartment block, you know. I can introduce you if you like."

 

"I met Simon Gray yesterday, another Brit, but I've only just moved in. Aude Darmshausen  showed me the Apartment and had furnished it impeccably to look modern and cool."

 

"She is good at that, but I guess she has seen maybe twenty people pass through that block on Rue de la Confédération, whilst working for Brant."

 

"What do they do? Do they stay on, or go home?"

 

"They stay, usually a year or so in your block and then on to their own rental properties with more space and privacy. You'll soon find out that Rue de la Confédération's inhabitants are an inquisitive bunch."

 

"And you, Bérénice? I know you work in the Press, but how is that?" I ask.

 

"I work for Le genevois - The Genevan - It's a mainstream media publication. I work on the social media side of things." 

 

"So no surprise that you know everyone and everything!"

 

"Not everyone. And not everything," she answers with a twinkle in her eye.

No comments: