rashbre central: Novel writing

Sunday 10 July 2022

Novel writing



I was along the South Bank a few days ago at the fascinating Self Publishing Show. It was a lively and interesting place to pick up some ideas about my various books and ways to publish them.

I guess I've been focused on the creative side (ie writing) but less on the business side (ie sales). 

In fairness, it all started as something of a hobby, but I can see that others who started around the same time as me but have taken a more business-like approach have had some interesting successes.

My 10,000 downloaded eBooks dwindles to nothing when I see that others have focused on altogether more targeted approaches.

In one case, an author's shift from political novels to police procedurals was able to resonate with the Line of Duty watchers and the result was 750,000 novels shipped. 

In another case, with some slightly salacious writing, but along a theme akin to  "Voldemort runs Hogwarts", two sisters were able to ship around 5,000,000 books. 

Astonishing. 

It got me thinking. I've got the 'inventory' now in the form of a stack of novels in various series. Maybe I need to put some more attention onto the Advertising and Marketing and of course targeting? I could even write to a genre, although I'd rather recategorise my existing novels into more commercial categories

I think I've shipped something over 10,000 novels now, spread across around 20 different stories. For every one that gets downloaded as an eBook, there's about 2-3 further views.

The newly refashioned 'Indie' market seems to be where an increasing number of novels are being sold (50% of the market for eBooks), and I'm told the market is expanding at more than 10% per annum.


No comments: