rashbre central: Another one bites the dust

Tuesday 22 June 2021

Another one bites the dust


It's finally time to replace the second of my Drobo 'Data Robotics' units. They are disk drive enclosures that support NAS functions. There's been various ways that they seem to go wrong.

  1. Power supply dies. It still switches on but doesn't deliver enough current to restart the whole set of drives. I've replaced power supplies and kept spares, but the connector type is different on different units, which adds to the pain.
  2. Drive dies. Inevitable that a drive would die from time to time. I have the Drobos set up with data redundancy so that one drive can fail but the system can continue to work, until I perform a hot swap.
  3. In a long-serving unit, the physical act of replacing the drive seems to disrupt the motherboard and then will signal perhaps a different error, which forces a more complex automated rebuild.

The first, say, five years seem to be okay, but after that period I wonder if the heat affects the motherboard in some way, reducing its reliability? My prior failed Drobo wouldn't restart at all , even after a new power supply unit was added and I took the number of drives down to one WD Red unit

So now I'm trying Synology instead. Some say that Synology are more complicated to get running, but I've found it pretty straightforward so far.

No comments: