rashbre central: one that nearly got away

Friday 23 June 2017

one that nearly got away


Oops.

I said to Pat that I'd spotted a Rodin exhibition at a gallery in London.

Pat had been sent a postcard of the original "Kiss" sculpture and I remembered that there was a smaller bronze version of it sitting in a window in St James.

One minor detour later and I was outside the delightful Bowman Sculpture gallery.

I snapped The Kiss, and then ventured inside. These purchasable pieces are real Rodin, many of which were the scaled down prototypes for what become well-known sculptures.

Another series displayed were of the Burghers of Calais, each individual standing around 50 cm high, as prototypes for the version that is now a clear landmark in the shade of Victoria Tower at the Houses of Parliament, or indeed outside the Town Hall in Calais.

Spot the maquette in the background of my gallery window snapshot and then see my pictures below from outside of Parliament.

I'll always stop to admire them if I cut through Victoria Tower Gardens, as well as tipping a hat to Emmaline Pankhurst (by Arthur George Walker) in the entrance to the gardens.

2 comments:

Pat said...

It looks so different in bronze.
I've see the original Burghers - years ago but not Emmeline. You certainly make the most of being a London habitue.

rashbre said...

Pat: I thought you'd be interested. In London Ms Pankhurst is just around the corner fro the Burghers. In a few minutes it is possible to spot Winston Churchill and Oliver Cromwell as well.