rashbre central: time for an iTunes reshuffle

Saturday 26 March 2016

time for an iTunes reshuffle



Away for part of Easter and an ideal time to run some of those long duration batch jobs to tidy some of the rashbre file system. Aside from the ongoing routine backup, the main chore at the moment is cleaning up iTunes, which in my case contains both music and video.

I've done that thing where you select File/Library/Consolidate and iTunes speedily rebuilt its directories into a much tidier form. I think the prior mess was a consequence of various generations of iTunes having different spaghetti ideas about how to organise.

The tidy-up is one of those simple push-a-button things. However, it shouldn't be undertaken lightly because it does completely re-organise the iTunes structure.

Afterwards, I wanted to ensure iCloud hadn't hi-jacked various files. That's the part that takes the longest, because there were still around 1,000 files that were in a state of cloud confusion.

I've since clicked the little iTunes iCloud button to sort it all out, but it will take a day or so to process, even on quite a fast internet connection. The main reason I'm doing this is to get the best quality legitimate versions of all of the music and videos, based upon the index entries in my iTunes directory.

Then I must backup the newly recrafted iTunes directories, using Chronosync.

I've decided to move the prior backups out of the way and to create new fresh clean ones, in effect streamlining the whole file structure. I noticed the Master iTunes directory has crept up to just over 2TB of disk. That'll be the digital video content I suppose.

Anyway, by the time I get back, it should all have rearranged itself nicely.

No comments: