rashbre central: rainy writing

Wednesday 30 May 2007

rainy writing

DSC_1792
I can understand why Daphne du Maurier and other famous authors have lived and written in Cornwall. The picture above is of Daphne's house in Fowey and I'm told that her son still lives there. It's also a celebration of Daphne du Maurier in Fowey this year, which marks 100 years since her birth.

Like the above setting, there’s a peace and tranquility that can help get into the zone for writing. I decided, this week, to spend a rainy day finishing my edit of the ‘triangle’, which was the novel I started back in Nanowrimo in 2005.

Having written the novel in 30 days, the editing has hung around somewhat longer. To be honest, the edit has mainly comprised cleaning up typos, sorting out some logic errors and tightening a few plot points. I’ve realised that the edit is a much longer part than crashing out the original story.

Also, that the only time I’ve really had to do this are odd single days (usually wet days) when I’m officially vacationing and somehow cut off from everything else. So today, slightly rainy, in Cornwall, in the Mission Hall in Kingsand, has worked perfectly. I’ve managed to get through to the very last page and am now at the stage where I’ll be looking for a way to get published! And of course, I’ve still got last year’s NaNoWriMo in a rough and ready state as well. But on this occasion, one thing at a time!

No comments: