rashbre central: timelord

Saturday 28 October 2006

timelord

torchwood.jpg
I watched the first two of the BBC's new Torchwood episodes tonight, from Sky Plus. Torchwood is a kind of spin off from Doctor Who and is actually an anagram of Doctor Who.

I commented about Torchwood during the last Doctor Who series when they visited the Torchwood Institute and there do seem to be a number of tongue in cheek references between the two series. Both filmed in Swansea, there is an invisible elevator in Torchwood on the spot where the Tardis landed on one of the early episodes of the Ecclestone Doctor Who. Jack from the Torchwood series says there's a 'non perception point' that means no-one can see the elevator because of a previous disruption in the area - I suppose maybe the Tardis landing would cause this? (Hmm - did Jack the American say 'elevator' or 'lift'...?)

In the first episode of Torchwood, Jack also refers to the need to see a special kind of Doctor about his apparent immortality (I wonder who that might be?)

I also thought I heard a little piece of Doctor Who music mixed in episode two, so I suppose the BBC are having fun with us. I suspect there will be some discarded Doctor Who artifacts in the rather messy Torchwood headquarters too. There's already a Torchwood website featuring safe handling of alien objects, as an example.
natasha
Compared with the BBC's new Robin Hood, I find Torchwood much more entertaining although I suppose the themes like the female sex crazed alien (Welsh species?) in episode two may move it out of family viewing.

And tonight, with the change of clocks, I get to be a time traveller too, just for one hour, and back in time.

No comments: