rashbre central: Henged

Wednesday 18 September 2024

Henged

Seeing as I was right by Stonehenge a few days ago, I thought I'd pay it another visit. I'd been staying in the nearby hotel which I also used as a car booster charge.

My recollection was of a long walk from the visitor centre to the actual stones. I wasn't disappointed and the route was across some fields with n'er a sighting of the stones until very close. I guess it was about 2 miles. 


You can just make out the stones in the middle of this picture, some distance away.

As always, there was a large group of people walking around the monoliths, but I was surprised to see that the photo guides to the stones have been modernised and offer suggestions about the best selfies and quirky pictures to take. I found this slightly disappointing, considering we were marvelling at 4,000 years of history. 

I also felt that I was kept further back from the stones now. I seem to remember almost being able to drift through them, but I suppose it's my unreliable memory playing tricks. This time I was a long way from the stones, aided by my iPhone's zoom lens.

The most uncomfortable part of the experience was the lengthy delay to buy a ticket and get into the visitor centre. It took ages; maybe it is done to manage the flow of people to the monuments? Once past the queue, I was able to find the museum and walk through it to get some sense of the history of all the henges.

Then the walk to the actual stones. There's a full account of them here: http://www.stonesofstonehenge.org.uk/search/label/Slaughter%20Stone

and it includes putting the record straight on a few, such as the 'Slaughter Stone'.

And here's a look back after the experience. Quite a line of people. Soon they will all be in the rather packed gifte shoppe.

And maybe,  back in the day, there were even more people attending the special ceremonies at Stonehenge? Was it for funerals? Spiritual matters? astronomical observance, or perhaps to recreate stories from the past, handed down as word of mouth and as re-enactments.

 







No comments: