rashbre central: Creation Lake - before*

Sunday 1 September 2024

Creation Lake - before*

{Rachel Kuschner on a Ford Galaxy}

Some may recollect I started a journey around the UK in April, visiting friends before heading for the island of Rhodes and then catching an ocean-going liner to New York.

At the start I was recommended a bookshop in Frome, where I was unsuccessful in obtaining Slouching Towards Bethlehem, although I did get to hear the story of Joan Didion's smokin' banana yellow Corvette.

{Joan Didion smoking on her yellow Corvette Stingray}

The Frome evidence is all here, right back from that original post. A more recent signifier is the life passage of the Atlantic Ocean passing by every day. A voyage of clarity as well as a new supply of Jelly Beans of Thought.


And now it's September and I think I should declare at least a Waypoint in my trip. My white car has been depranged too, but I won't be sitting on Alice's bonnet.

I'm waiting to read Creation Lake, by Rachel Kuschner, who first ensnared me with The Flamethrowers, many years ago. All motorbikes and urgent Italian rebels.
Her Hard Crowd car pose is no accident- a full hat tip to Joan Didion. My experience of Kushner’s writing is fluidity and clarity, possessing a rhythm as determined as any ocean. There's vibrancy, strangeness, parallels, poise and wariness. She writes like she has reached the next level, or two, probably at 140 mph.

She is a champion of other, often parallel realities. I'm anticipating Creation Lake to promise similar intrigues.

Espionage, seduction, and the allure of the past as a ruthless American female agent for hire is sent to the French countryside to mix things up with French environmentalists. Blend in some humour, sparkle and philosophy and what's not to like?*

*I'm guessing at the moment but have high hopes. It's out next week.


No comments: