rashbre central: Tasting Notes : Green King IPA at the Camel

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Tasting Notes : Green King IPA at the Camel

Greene King IPAAs I acquired a new tweeter on the strength of the last post, based upon its reference to real ale, I thought I'd mention the beer from Monday evening. It was Greene King IPA, which I think leaves real ale afficionados divided.

You know what? For me it was a perfect choice.

A well-kept pump pulled pint close to Waterloo (the Camel and Artichoke, actually).

It brought me memories of drinking out in Essex and beyond in some of my older stomping grounds.

This pint wasn't trying to be ultra clever with wench-mashed hops and waggle bee honey droppings.

No, it was a straightforward pint of medium strength bitter. The kind to choose for an extended session chatting with a friend.

I could quibble at its India Pale Ale moniker, because actually the beer had a quite dark tint, particularly compared with the adjacent St Edmunds.

Whatever it's moderate strength, it had that sharp and slightly peppery edge at the first bite which persisted nicely through the whole glass.

And above all, what I liked was that this was a proper beer evoking English countryside, served from a barrel, and not some kind of marketeers' clever badging of a science experiment.

2 comments:

Pat said...

My elder son knows more than I do about real ale. I must ask him if he's tried it.

rashbre said...

Pat : My London ale of choice would be Fullers.