rashbre central: eight daze

Saturday 7 October 2006

eight daze

P1020511.JPG
Debra asked me to write 8 things about myself and so I'm mixing it with some of what happened today.

1) The day started with a visit to Chelsea - which is an area of London I really enjoy wandering around. We were rendezvousing at a particular riverside location where we were to meet David. We all arrived within about ten minutes of one another, literally meeting by the number 137 bus stop.
P1020477.JPG
We spent some time looking at aqua and jade soft furnishings before heading back to where my car was parked right on the riverfront along the Thames. John noticed how clean the car looked; this is because it has just been serviced by the garage, who always clean it when they have it in for work.
e_turbo_cutaway

2) The garage took two attempts to service my car, because they needed a spare part. They kept calling me once the part was in. I didn't know what the piece was, but it turned out to be a new turbo. I think that is quite a large part of the engine, but it seems to drive properly again now. Four of us then drove the short distance to the Kings Road, where I found a pay and display spot which needed around £9.40 to cover the remaining time until 18:30 when the meters and yellow lines switch off. This worked out to around 20 pence for 5 minutes.

3) We walked from the car back to Kings Road, with a plan to stop for a late lunch. We were aiming for a certain favourite restaurant, but unfortunately took the wrong direction. We were nearly at Peter Jones (the department store) before we realised we were walking the wrong way. Undeterred we turned back through what was a very busy throng of shoppers.

4) I noticed the trees were still looking like late summer, rather than autumn, but many of the shoppers had slipped into the colours of the autumn season and several people were wearing chunky fur-look boots. It looks as if the fashion is changing faster than the season. As I passed the Chelsea Registry Office, I noticed a wedding in progress, with a smattering of people in stylish full Indian outfits and a few men in equivalently stylish Scottish kilts.

5) We found the restaurant and a selection of strange looking cocktails appeared (strawberry, vodka and Ginger ale, for example). I didn't partake, because I knew I'd be driving. An animated lunch finally finished around four in the afternoon. We all split up as we left the restaurant, with a variety of missions to accomplish around the west end before the shops closed.

P1020513.JPG
6) I used my Oyster card on a 211 Bus to go to Sloane Square, where I had to visit Tiffany's to get a silver bracelet adjusted. I'd bought it in New York, and they told me it may have to be sent back for adjustment because the silver blend in USA is different from UK. I have never heard of this but decided not to argue. The bracelet has been unwearable since I bought it as a present, and a few extra weeks won't make much difference. At least it will have a story afterwards.

7) The discussion 'upstairs' in Tiffany's meant I was late for my next errand which meant I had to grab a cab to Bond Street. Not as easy as it sound and I had to resort to the trick of knowing where a taxi is likely to drop off a passenger in order to get one.

8) Mission complete, I then cabbed back to King's Road and by enormous good fortune, the taxi used the same short cut as me and drove right past my car saving me time because I couldn't remember the name of the street I'd parked. I then drove back to the Royal Court, to find Julie, who arrived with a clutch of expensive looking carrier bags.

Well, I think there's about 8 things about me in there somewhere; along with a partial account of my day. Tomorrow I'm off to Milan again.

No comments: