rashbre central: shopping in America bloopers 1 and 2.

Sunday 10 March 2019

shopping in America bloopers 1 and 2.


There's some differences shopping in America. A striking one is the use of plastic bags. I'm used to the UK 'bring reusable bags' and a recent expedition to a wal-known chain created a "stop right there!" moment.

A problem seems to be that the plastic bags supplied are actually quite small. Additionally, in supermarkets the cashier or a cashier assistant packs the shopping for you.

They use a gazillion bags. Sometimes one or two items only in the bag. I requested a couple of items to not go in bags (washing detergent, fabric softener - the sort of things that come in big packaging).

So then, I push my trolley to the store exit.

"Excuse me!" called an official. "What are those loose items?"

I'm looking confused.

"Show me your receipt"

I did.

They hunted through to find the suspicious items which hadn't been bagged.

Yes, I'd bought them! Problem over and haveanice day.

My arguably bigger blooper was on the return flight. I usually travel with fairly minimal hand luggage. For complicated reasons on this occasion I'd a bigger hand luggage bag - though still within airline guidelines etc.

I was also pre cleared to use the fast lanes at the airport security. None of that remove belt, shoes, laptops out business. Excellent except for one thing.

My luggage came up for inspection on the screening belt. I knew it was almost empty, a few electronics, a fleece, an empty backpack, a couple of magazines.

"Anything sharp inside?"

"I don't think so"

Unzippered and inspected. All good. Then the package I'd forgotten.

A brown bag, containing a box with about 1 kilo of white powder in it.

Oops.

The outer packaging was wiped with one of those special lint cloths and then placed into an expensive looking trace detection machine.

"Ha!" smiled the security guard. "Pancake Mix. Great choice!"

We'd visited Cracker Barrel earlier in the day. They do a great pancake mix and whimsically we decided to bring some home. I'd remembered my 'hand luggage' was relatively empty and threw it in when we got back to the car, oblivious to the potential problem it might create later.

She placed it back in my bag.

"Enjoy your flight"

No comments: