rashbre central: beebomb and #bringthebeesback

Friday 27 April 2018

beebomb and #bringthebeesback


Back at our last place, we used to have plenty of lavender in the front garden. During the summer months it literally hummed, being filled with industrious bees. I'd guess that there were thousands of them, happily going about their business.

This year, I'm beginning to spot the occasional bee, including a queen that was bumbling about on our grass. Overall, they say there's less bees around and I was thinking of the ways to encourage a few in our new, and as yet relatively unplanted, garden.

Cue the bee bomb. It's a singular initiative to #bringthebeesback. The hand-made Beebombs are a mix of 18 British wildflower seeds, sifted soil and clay. The seeds are designated by the Royal Horticultural Society as "Perfect for Pollinators". A chap called Ben makes them in his Beebomb laboratory, somewhere in Dorset. I acquired mine from an altogether more local supplier, the zero waste Nourish of Topsham.

It's also akin to zero energy waste gardening. The individual Beebombs contained in the Beebomb bag just need to be scattered onto cleared ground to create a wildflower area.

Now, I won't fib. My attraction to the bee bombs has created a slight pushback. Along the lines of "won't the seeds go everywhere?" and similar comments.

I'm more sanguine. Firstly, a few wild flowers in the garden will look good. And, in any case, I still need them to turn from little blocks of bee bomb clay into actual plants. Not to mention that I've currently only got enough for a couple of square metres.

Although, to appease doubters, I've planted the first tranche in little pots. Stand by for bees. Vroop Vroop.


2 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

These sounds great, I'll have to look into them!

The snow drifts in the back garden crushed a lot of the lavender and heather plants, so this might help whilst they recover.

rashbre said...

Nikki-ann, and with your great macro pictures, you'll need the right plants to attract the visitors.