rashbre central: backup regime

Tuesday 17 April 2018

backup regime


The recent hard drive swap on one of the Drobo devices created a domino effect of re-organisation. Like buying a new bright red toaster and putting it in the kitchen.

My Drobo NAS storage devices were all set up for the largest available storage at the time they were originally initialised. Back in the day that was an insane 16 Terabytes. Nowadays their firmware supports 64 Terabytes.

Put another way if that were paper it would be around six times the capacity of the complete US Library of Congress. Yep, all three Jefferson, Madison and Adams buildings.

I'm not sure exactly how I got to needing such large amounts of space, but re-arranging it somehow reminds me of the later days of diskette.

Anyone remember the old version of Microsoft Office, which came on 33 1.44M diskettes? I know Microsoft Office has more functions, but I'll bet there's still plenty of people who don't even use the full capabilities of that ancient version.

The copying isn't as labour intensive as using those old diskettes, but it has still taken about three days to move all the files around. And no, I haven't sat and watched it. I'm now at the last stage of the streamlining, with all new volume names, simpler directories and a whole new backup regime.

Fingers crossed?

No comments: