rashbre central: sometimes a real map is easier

Friday 14 July 2017

sometimes a real map is easier


We've a handy Ordnance Survey map pinned to the wall in the temporary barn. It's useful for looking at various routes around this area, with its filigree of tiny lanes, often barely a single car width.

If I had a bicycle with me I'm sure I'd be using the paper map for planning, because sometimes an OS 1:50000 can reveal things that are harder to spot on Google. Add to that the slow broadband here and the use of the map is a no-brainer.

Yesterday I passed a cyclist pushing his bicycle up a very steep hill. It was a long uphill drag with grasses swaying into the middle of the single track road.

The single and double chevrons and the contours of the map become a helpful aid for planning the best routes. Having driven several miles erroneously along an unmetalled surface I even resorted to a phone call to work out the best way back.

My sat-nav is usually pretty good, and a friend of mine even remarked that it had found a clever way through to a particular village - the kind of route that only a local would take. I'd amend that for some of the roads 'a local with nerves of steel'.

However, we are already noticing that some of the once-thought thin roads now seem considerably wider. As we routinely drive past a parked driving school car in a nearby village, we muse about learning to drive around here. I learnt to drive around London, so I guess it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

What I do know is that we'll be blending a mix of urban, country and seaside once we get re-united with all of our stuff, some 40 miles to the north east.

No comments: