Now for the vinyl rationalisation. I've invented some rules because otherwise this could be a very long process.
- Allow an end budget of, say, 1 crate
- Keep the albums that have a special memory 'Spark Joy' - (Wasa Wasa and other Edgar Broughton Band)
- Keep the ones that are popularly considered classics (Sgt Pepper, LZ I, II, III, YBR etc.)
- Keep the curios with special artwork - Ogdens Nut Gone Flake? - That Bad Japanese Michael Jackson picture vinyl
- Consider making snapshots of a random selection of those that are borderline, but put them into the departure pile. Flickr time maybe?
- Aside from Motown Chartbusters Volume III and the Stax Sound, remove all the compilations
- Review those to be kept in light of CDs and remove those with decent CD alternatives (many Bowies - keep ZS, Changes, HD)
- Re-curate the remaining Keeps so they would be an interesting assortment if on a shelf adjacent to a functioning record player
- Grade the deselected into (a) charity shop and (b) worthy of further effort
- Repeat the process for the 7 inch singles
Below is a selection from the discards so far for any, or many, of the reasons above.
I've iPhone snapshotted a few more of the discards onto flickr for any sleeve rifflers.