rashbre central: a million light years watching OA

Thursday 9 February 2017

a million light years watching OA


I see The OA is being commissioned for another series. Good news because the original series has a kind of indie frontier story telling.

It took me a while to work out that its main protagonist, Prairie played by Brit Marling, had also created the idea and written much of it.

It's a kind of Russian doll of a story with multiple layers and at times you are not sure if you are going down or up a level. I liked the way it dabbled with genres and enjoyed the playfulness of its approach. I spotted this recent interview with Brit Marling, on CBS, and it gives some insights into what is a fairly unique kind of show.

I'm pretty sure there's some arty references too. There's a hut on a tundra at one point, evoking a Malevich landscape before he fully hit on the basic geometry of supremacist art.

And later, Malevich also painted the five white houses, which could become part of a season 2 inspiration. Oh yes, the 5s and 7s seem to play quite a part.

Another cultural clincher for me is what's inside one of the places that Prairie visits.

I've always liked Yayoi Kusama's work and there's a set of well known pieces called Infinity Mirrored Rooms. Hard to describe, without the experience, but here is a picture of one that was in the Tate.

The rest of the title of the piece is The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away. And yes, it fits. Catch my drift, there's some depth to the storytelling, although you can't be sure how much is reliable, and which things are imagined.

I'll be looking out for more of this and maybe even some Love is Calling in the new season.

No comments: